We will now look at the productivity 1000 plc modbus tcp rtu communication to the BX-MBIO controller.
The Productivity 1000 PLC can communicate to a remote I/O (input and output) controller modules using the Modbus protocol for communications. The BX-MBIO provides both Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP interfaces. Modbus RTU is a serial communication and Modbus TCP is an Ethernet communication. Modbus RTU is supported over an RS-485 serial connection. Modbus TCP is supported over an Ethernet connection. They function as listening/replying devices (slave, server) and can connect with any mastering (master, client) device that communicates using the Modbus protocol.
Previously we looked at the BX-MBIO Modbus RTU TCP Remote IO Controller wiring and configuration.
Modbus RTU TCP Remote IO Controller BX-MBIO
– BX-MBIO Hardware Video
– BX-MBIO Powering and Configuring Video
We will connect the Productivity 1000 PLC to the Modbus remote IO. This will be done using the Modbus TCP and Modbus RTU protocol. Ethernet and serial RS485 communication to the BX-MBIO unit will be the media.
The BX-MBIO remote I/O expansion units feature the following:
• RJ45 Ethernet port for communications via Modbus TCP
• RS485 serial port for communications via Modbus RTU
• Supports up to 8 additional Expansion Modules (Add the discrete or analog I/O you require)
• AC and DC powered units available
• AC powered units include an integral 24VDC auxiliary output power supply
• Power connector and serial port connector included
Let’s get started.